Wednesday, January 2, 2008

IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY...

RIGHT?? Please say yes. :o)

A few weeks ago I spent a bunch of money on a new [larger] kiln & today I "invested" in some incredible tools that should help cut my bead making time WAY DOWN as well as possibly make me a better glass artist (can I get any better?? LOL!). I purchased an Electric Mandrel Spinner from Scott Bouwens of Bearfoot Art, as well as his Double Barrel Rolling Marvers & a set of his Ultimate Hand Stabilizers. This is a serious chunk of change for someone just starting out in this business, but I've seen these in action in person (via Scott @ the Gathering) & if you go to his website & check out his video clips, you'll see what I mean. I'm watching these clips just about to crap, realizing how helpful these tools would be for all of the large handled pieces I've been making. It takes me probably 15+ minutes, depending on the piece, just to get my base bead made before I can even start embellishing it... it's a ton of glass & it take lots of time to get the glass centered & shaped & all that jazz & you just watch how effortless it is for Scott to marver a big wad of glass into shape, etc. I looked at these videos & thought "how could I NOT get these tools?" It would be foolish. I think they'll pay for themselves in probably less than a month, if not less.

Anyway...I'm not trying to convince you, LOL, even my husband, who is already nervous about the amount of money this "little" venture has consumed ("I thought you said it was going to be a few tools & a litte bit of glass..."), said to me tonight as we were checking out Scott's site & videos, "looks like you need to give this guy a whole bunch of money". It was pretty obvious. I was even getting a little bit choked up w/ the conflict of "do I dare? vs. how can't I?"

It's gonna be worth it.

1 MUCH APPRECIATED COMMENTS:

Patent Place USA said...

Yes, it does. The trick is you need to spend it wisely. You’ve heard that “Practice makes perfect”? Well, in the training world we say that “Perfect practice makes perfect”. People can get very good at doing things the wrong way, because that’s what they’ve always done. This includes business and budgeting decisions.

I get students all the time who say “That’s one way of doing this or that, but I’d rather keep doing the way I’ve always done it.” My typical answer is “So how is that working for you?” In many cases it’s not been working. Remember it was Albert Einstein who said that the definition of Insanity is “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.

So Sis, does it take money to make money? Are you making money? Does everything we do have to produce money?

I remember a guy who came into the Shopsmith store and after baulking at the price of the tools I decided to change the subject and asked him about the bass boat he was towing behind his expensive new Dodge Ram. He told me all about the horse power of the motor on the boat and the towing capacity of his truck and complained a little about the fuel mileage. Then I asked him “What does fish cost at the grocery?” “It’s not about the fish!” he said. The he paused…
He purchased a butt-load of tools.

Hey, whose blog is this anyway? Sorry for the rant. Scott

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails